Taken from the past papers (2009 sample, 2010 and 2011 so far), here are a list of the topics which have been covered by previous essay questions in Section C: Stylistic Development – Musical Responses.
Toccata: Jacques Loussier Plays Bach
- Spontaneity and improvisation
- Inspiration from Baroque features
- Creative limitations of arranging
- Commonality between Baroque and Jazz
- Compositions in their own rights?
- Worldwide appeal
- Variety of cultural backgrounds
- Distinct musical sound
- Musical qualities that lead to success
- Non-musical qualities that lead to success (video/fashion/publicity etc)
- Hallmarks of film music as a specific genre
- Importance of music in film as an art form
- Integration of music within the film
- Music and emotional response
- Relationship to Programme Music
- Role of music in enhancing drama
- Conflict between speech and music v. unified artistic whole
- Treatment of ‘the outsider’
- Social and contemporary issues
- Role as ‘Protest music’
- Ingredients of a successful musical
- Popularity of the music v. other reasons for success
For details of the full questions, the past papers can be purchased from Trinity. I have no insider knowledge, so this is by no means a guarantee that these topics will come up again. However, it should give an idea of what kind of areas to focus on in preparing.
I hope this is helpful if you are preparing for this exam. I’m hoping to get a resources post up soon with links to websites I’ve found useful.